Sleep Apnoea is a condition you may be suffering from and at Your Dentistree we can provide assistance.
Are you fed up with your partner’s snoring or have you been asked to sleep in another room because of your snoring? Sleep Apnoea can not only impact your health, but also your work, relationship, and overall happiness.
Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA) is a very serious medical condition in which the muscles of the throat and tongue relax. This reduces the intake of oxygen to your lungs. The sleeper intermittently comes out of deep sleep throughout the night, typically snoring and gasping to open the airway in an attempt to restore normal breathing. Sleep is then disturbed and your heart has to work harder. Untreated OSA is linked to excessive fatigue, depression, reduced resistance to infection, skin damage, diabetes, heart attack and even death.
Signs and symptoms
- Excessive snoring with increased duration and loudness
- Gasping for air
- Witnessed cessation of breathing (usually identified by your partner)
- Frequent visits to the bathroom during the night
- Daytime tiredness
- Poor concentration and lapses in memory
- Waking up feeling a choking sensation
At Your Dentistree we carefully assess your teeth and general health for signs and symptoms of OSA. When required, a sleep study is organised, which is appropriate for your needs. After close collaboration with a sleep physician, if OSA is diagnosed treatment options are discussed.
- CPAP: this remains the gold standard in treatment of OSA and allows constant low pressure into the airway. However, long-term compliance is a major issue. Many people fail to adapt to this appliance finding it too bulky or struggle adapting to the facemask. In certain cases surgical procedures can be effective and we work closely with a very specialised ENT in the sleep medicine field.
- Oral Appliance Therapy: this is the treatment of choice for those who have mild/moderate OSA, or those that want less pressure from their mask or can’t tolerate the CPAP machine. Not all appliances are made equal. At Your Dentistree, we use only the most reputable, customised appliances that are clinically proven, comfortable and convenient. The practice goal is to assist our patients in discovering just how much more restful a night of sleep can be without the constant trouble of compromised breathing.
People also read about Root Canal Treatment